The Book, Cat, & Cat Book Lovers Almanac

of historical trivia regarding books, cats, and other animals. Actually this blog has evolved so that it is described better as a blog about cats in history and culture. And we take as a theme the advice of Aldous Huxley: If you want to be a writer, get some cats. Don't forget to see the archived articles linked at the bottom of the page.

May 13, 2019

May 13, 1861

My name is Pussy Black-Face, and I am a naughty young kitten. I wish I were good like my mother. She is the best cat that I ever saw. I try to be like her, and sometimes I succeed, but most times I don't.

These words by the writer Marshall Saunders, remind me of the subject of Dorothy Parker's review, of something by Milne. Parker wrote, and this may the entire review: "Tonstant weader trowed up."


I ,though, will add something. The quote is from the work of a famous (at one time) writer of children's books: Margaret Marshall Saunders (May 13, 1861 to February 15, 1947).  Most of her books are about pet dogs, and Beautiful Joe (1907) was the first Canadian book to sell more than one million copies. She had found a working formula, and followed it up with many titles for children, including Pussy Black-Face (1913), which is apparently about a tortoise-shell marked cat.

Interesting that this treacle flourished at a particular time in history. Saunders may be one of the few writers who could make Milne appear less saccharine. 

No comments: