The Book, Cat, & Cat Book Lovers Almanac

of historical trivia regarding books, cats, and other animals. Actually this blog has evolved so that it is described better as a blog about cats in history and culture. And we take as a theme the advice of Aldous Huxley: If you want to be a writer, get some cats. Don't forget to see the archived articles linked at the bottom of the page.

August 12, 2018

August 12, 1884


About the book:

'Rosemary and the cats all live together in an English cottage. To be sure, there's a family, too, and an enviable number of domestics, but the glowing center of the story is Rosemary and her love of all growing things in a nice unstuffy way. There's a cat, Buchie, who is the naughtiest, nicest, most mischievous cat with saucy speech habits. There are three other good cats and a very ""muffing"" kind of dog. There's a sunny garden feeling to the book...'

This description is of The Cats and Rosemary, (1948) a children's book by Frank Swinnerton (August 12, 1884 to November 6, 1982). This title is just one of many reasons to remember this author, critic, biographer, who wrote about 30 books.

Frank Swinnerton considered his book The Georgian Literary Scene, (1935) one of his best, and the full text is at the Internet Archive. Here the glimpse of his own childhood is distinct from that in The Cats and Rosemary. We excerpt:

'[It] seems to me that I can trace my inveterate distrust of myself back to the years when my father and mother used to tell me that I would certainly marry an old woman, Honor King, who used to come to the door begging. This joke did not wear out; it lasted through my childhood ; and I remember still how I used to dread her appearance, or her name, for either was sufficient to incite somebody to remind me of the nuptials that awaited me in a few years. I understood very well that the joke rested on the assumption that I was such an ugly little boy that nobody else would marry me. But whatever the cause it seems to me that there is more force in an argument for negative qualities in the realist than for any belief in a determined choice of realism as against any other ism whatever. ...[George Moore elsewhere describes....], this craving for observation of manners, this instinct for the rapid notation of gestures and words that epitomize a state of feeling, of attitudes that mirror forth the soul, .... . . With the patience of a cat at a mouse-hole I watched and listened; . . . and though I laughed and danced, and made merry with them, I was not of them. '

Swinnerton's obituary in the Times said, with his death we have lost "one of the last links with his great contemporaries, Wells, Galsworthy and Arnold Bennett," an assessment which is often quoted.

No comments: