The Book, Cat, & Cat Book Lovers Almanac

of historical trivia regarding books, cats, and other animals. Actually this blog has evolved so that it is described better as a blog about cats in history and culture. And we take as a theme the advice of Aldous Huxley: If you want to be a writer, get some cats. Don't forget to see the archived articles linked at the bottom of the page.

January 17, 2018

January 17, 1968

Rowan Pelling, is a British writer; she is a past, and present editor of the Erotic Review. Her columns present a charming picture of married life among writers. I quote from an April 23, 2014 piece in The Daily Telegraph (I think) :

'To say I am pathologically untidy does not begin to do justice to the thick soup of chaos in which I swim. When I found I could no longer access my study for towers of bills, books and shoe-boxes, I simply closed the door and moved my centre of operations to the loft.

'Sometimes, I’d hear a faint rustling from behind the old room’s door and would idly wonder if a long-forgotten houseguest lay trapped under a tsunami of newspaper. I’d never have investigated, but my older son turns 10 this week and has pleaded for a bedroom large enough for bunks and sleepovers. Nor could I ignore the symbolism of Easter: a moment for renewal and so a little spring-cleaning. It was time to break into the room, armed with bin-bags, J-cloths and a bamboo pole for gently dislodging spiders.

'My resolve was strengthened when I took delivery of 10 large flat-pack cardboard boxes. There’s something akin to the pleasure of origami in picking up a two-dimensional rectangle of card and folding it into the kind of clean-lined, clutter-munching receptacle that would make an archivist purr. My husband, who was orderly to the point of obsession in his bachelor days, was instantly on my assembly line, soon to be joined by both sons, demanding containers for superheroes and Lego. Who knew, outside the world of cats, you could create so much rapture in a simple cardboard box?....'

Her Who's Who article mentions she graduated from St Hugh’s College, Oxford (1991). And that she was a judge for the 2004 Man Booker Prize. Her recreations include "red wine, TV detective dramas, and Maine Coon cats", among other items.

No comments: