The Book, Cat, & Cat Book Lovers Almanac

of historical trivia regarding books, cats, and other animals. Actually this blog has evolved so that it is described better as a blog about cats in history and culture. And we take as a theme the advice of Aldous Huxley: If you want to be a writer, get some cats. Don't forget to see the archived articles linked at the bottom of the page.

August 14, 2017

August 14, 1950

There is about Gary Larson (August 14, 1950) a certain hostility which is an aspect of much humor. I think about that cartoon where two cats are seated around a Christmas tree. One is holding a chocolate box, opened. In the box instead of chocolates are wee animals, like mice, and gerbils.

I read, (The Bond, I think) that as a child he had range of reptiles and bugs. In reference to cats he says" I'm fond of them but not in the way I am of dogs. I have a tendency to like all dogs, but with cats, I end up only liking my own."

December 31, 1994, was the date of the last of Larson's The Far Side cartoon strips.






No comments: