The Book, Cat, & Cat Book Lovers Almanac

of historical trivia regarding books, cats, and other animals. Actually this blog has evolved so that it is described better as a blog about cats in history and culture. And we take as a theme the advice of Aldous Huxley: If you want to be a writer, get some cats. Don't forget to see the archived articles linked at the bottom of the page.

January 20, 2017

January 20, 1920

Federico Fellini (January 20, 1920 to October 31, 1993) was a major film director of the last century. He explained his success by saying he didn't know what he was doing. Here is the context:

The director is asked how, if he refuses to look at rushes, at any filming he already did on a movie, how exactly he can proceed with and finish a film:

And here is what Fellini said:

I don't want to know what I am doing....This is the same way I provoke my psyche, my muse. When I get out of bed each morning I say I wonder what I did yesterday? And my creative self sits up like a cat and cats don't like to be ignored. If you pretend to walk away from a cat, it may just get curious and follow you. So an idea then, if you neglect it, it will follow you.

No comments: