The Book, Cat, & Cat Book Lovers Almanac

of historical trivia regarding books, cats, and other animals. Actually this blog has evolved so that it is described better as a blog about cats in history and culture. And we take as a theme the advice of Aldous Huxley: If you want to be a writer, get some cats. Don't forget to see the archived articles linked at the bottom of the page.

January 8, 2016

January 8, 1869

Arnold Genthe ( (January 8, 1869 to August 9, 1942) ) became a successful photographer of the famous after he emigrated to the United States from Germany. Here is Genthe's Garbo, dated to 1925.Garbo by Arnold Genthe, 1925



Arnold Genthe was also a lover of cats . He had a cat in his studio, a succession of four, we read. They were all named Buzzer, and he used them as props on occasion. Genthe wrote in a memoir As I Remember (1936):


“It is told that at the age of four, when I was taken by the nurse to look at my newly arrived brother Hugo, I seriously remarked, ‘I’d like a little kitten better.’ I am fond of dogs, but cats have always meant more to me, and they have been the wise and sympathetic companions of many a solitary hour.”


Here is one of Genthe's cats, in 1912. Like Garbo, this cat would look great regardless of the photographer.




No comments: