The Book, Cat, & Cat Book Lovers Almanac

of historical trivia regarding books, cats, and other animals. Actually this blog has evolved so that it is described better as a blog about cats in history and culture. And we take as a theme the advice of Aldous Huxley: If you want to be a writer, get some cats. Don't forget to see the archived articles linked at the bottom of the page.

November 22, 2013

November 22

On Almanac Day we here at the Cat Lovers Almanac are self indulgent in using our OWN stories, always true, always feline. In this manner: these two cat descriptions seem very similar.

Claude, the crucial cat  in Something in Disguise (1969) by Elizabeth Jane Howard, introduced like this:

He was an uneasy combination of black and white; on his face this gave him an asymmetircal and almost treasonable appearance.

Joe Cat, the feline hero of Cat Under Fire (1996) by Shirley Rousseau Murphy is thusly described:

He was a big cat, and powerful, his short gray coat sleek as velvet over his lean muscles; but he was not a pretty cat. The white triangular marking down his nose made his eyes seem too close together, as if he viewed the world with a permanent frown. To observers he would always seem to be scowling.

These descriptions are similar and that struck me. Now here is the funny thing.though I got both these books at a library sale on Wednesday December 5, 2012.

The Howard novel I pulled out of the shelf because 1-- it was free, and 2. I recognized the name of the wife of Kingsley Amis. Never read her, as I actually rarely read fiction.. Yes the dust jacket featured a lovely drawing of a cat by Janet Halverson.. The other book, a paperback by an author I never heard of, had a picture of a cat on the cover, so I thought, since it is .50, I might be able to research the author and get a blog post out of it.

So lucky me, two blog posts, and now, on almanac day, a third, all because I wanted to park someplace I could later make a turn out of, with a traffic light. Okay, too much info maybe.


No comments: